Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What's in a name

Matthew 1:20 & 21
But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary, thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS:
for he shall save his people from their sins.

When we are around other people we naturally, even instinctively, pay attention to the body language of whoever is talking with us, or working with us. There is a very good reason that we do this, we expect that what is being said and what is being done to match up. That way we are able to give credibility to what is being said, we all do it and it is good that we do.[ although we do hope that others don’t hold us to that same standard] Echem…
Here in this opening statement from the angel of the Lord let’s look for a moment as to why he says that Jesus was sent to us. The first thing to note is the way the name Jesus is written.
( JESUS)
Why all caps? Why not simply write Jesus? Here I can only give my opinion but I make the observation for a reason. It was one of the first questions I asked when I read these verses the very first time some 30 years ago and I am reminded of it each time I read it. I have not been able to locate anyone who specifically explains why from a Greek grammatical point of view, all caps were used, so my confidence lies in the translators using caps for emphasis as to the uniqueness of this very common name during those times.
The name Jesus carries within it the idea of:
“Jehovah is Salvation” and what makes his name so unique is that what he did actually matched up with what was said in his name.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

I like the point you are making. I think that there is an unfortunate removal from recognizing the amount of time that went into the KJV translation of the Bible.
So much effort is put into making a diluted perspective on scripture by taking every translation we can get our hands on and cramming them all together to come up with a general consensus that agrees with all of them. How could it be possible to break it down to something that is a definate "Word" to use?
It would be the same thing as me being a reporter, and interviewing 20 different witnesses to a crime. Then after I finished interviewing everyone I decided that no one witness was any more credible than the other, so the only thing I report are weak statements that would not disagree with anything any of the witnesses said. I don't think I would be able to get very far, because nothing I ever reported would be specific enough to be counted on as truth.
The translators were definitely trying to point out something fantastic about his name specifically. Something that separated him from every other person alive.
Thanks for your perspective. Keep up the good work.

Matthew Strout
http://www.theonlineattractionmarketer.com
matthew@theonlineattractionmarketer.com