Thursday, July 23, 2009

Did Jesus do what his name said he would do?

Jesus:
Jehovah is Salvation

“…and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.”
Matt 1:21

That is exactly what made Jesus so very unique, he actually did do what his name described him as doing.

The rest of the proclamation is very simple in what it says but is very profound as to what it is describing.
“…for he shall save his people from their sins.”

One of the primary purposes of the Levitical system of worship that God had instituted back in the day of Moses was to make it clear that there was a problem with sin and that it must be dealt with. And to deal with it properly meant the person had to acknowledge the sin and offer the prescribed sacrifice. There was no guess work; everything was laid out as to what was required.

Requirement #1 was the personal recognition of the sin.
It should be no surprise that when Jesus began his ministry among his people that the first thing he said to them was to repent. The angel is saying that the reason he has come is to save us from our sin so it only stands to reason that our personal recognition of the sin in our lives is a must.

Requirement #2 a required offering for that sin.

Let me ask you a question.
What if you were required to pay for a speeding ticket that I had acquired during my travels? Probably the first question you would ask would be, why should I pay it? I had nothing to do with your traffic violation. I must admit I can see where your objection would be quite in order.

Well let’s change the question around a bit. What did Jesus have to do with, my sin, or your sin that he should pay for it?
Is that what it means when the angel said that he will save his people from their sins?

I’m sorry, my time is up and I must get back on the road. But I will continue from here next time.

Jesus death, his burial and his resurrection have become my daily reality.
Dave

No comments: